Thursday, April 25, 2013

And ode to those who came before us

My family history is steeped with people who served for this country. They proudly took their place like their father's before them. Most times against the wishes of their families, who knew full well what they were to experience. Who didn't want their sons going through the same hell they went through.



Most saw active service, some, like my Grandmother, did not. She dismisses her role as being insignificant. Once when I had made a comment about it on here, she messaged me and said "Just so you know, I never left Australia" like it made all the difference. Her support role behind the scenes, like so many other Australian women is what held this country together while the men were away.


My grandfather was in active service. His story has never really been told. It's one he holds close and only in the last few years has really made reference to it. As a teenager I convinced him to allow me to question him about WW2 for a school assignment. Even at my young age, I couldn't mistake his angst at some of the memories. At the time I recorded our conversations as I didn't want to miss anything important. What I wouldn't give to still be in possession of those tapes. If only my 14 year old self had known how important they would be to family history. I'm hoping he'll let me sit down and have those same conversations now.

So to my forebearers and to all those who fought with them and supported them, I thank you. I thank you for the country we live in today. I thank you for the freedom we have today. I thank you for the life you have created not only for me but for generations to come. 


Picture courtesy of The Australian War Memorial
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment