Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Getting my Susie on : DIY Terrarium

Browsing instagram this morning I noticed a post from Katrina Chambers (she's awesome peoples, follow her if you're not already) linking up her Tutorial Tuesday blog post and thought "Hmmm, I could do that" The terrarium that is.

Source: Katrinas_Tweets

As per usual for me, things work out easier said (or read for that matter) than done. I did a little more research, thank you Pinterest, and went about gathering all the things I needed. You would think in a place the size of Bunnings I'd find activated charcoal and moss but no and to be honest I couldn't be bothered hunting down a pet store selling fish tank stuff to get some. So if these plants die, I already blame my laziness.
Putting it all together wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be. Shoving your hard around inside a fishbowl and trying to strategically place and back fill the soil around the plants without getting potting mix everywhere was crazy. Overall I got the desired result and I'm pretty happy for a first attempt. I have to say that the photos don't do it the justice it deserves.

If you want to try something like this for yourself you'll need the following:
  1. Glass bowl - the size and shapes are endless. Let your imagination run wild.
  2. Small pebbles - for drainage in the bottom
  3. Activated charcoal - really it's not necessary if you have an open terrarium, but if it's closed you will need it
  4. Spaghnum moss - again not really necessary as it only really works as a filter for the water but if you've picked a bowl/jar based on being able to see the layers inside the moss makes it look that little bit fancier
  5. Potting mix - just your standard potting mix. You don't need anything fancy.
  6. Add your plants. The most common plants you see are succlents, but you can put practically any small plant in them. 
  7. Decorative layer - really you can put whatever you like. I chose some white pebbles. I've seen moss, I've seen glass beads, I've seen plastic dinosaurs. You put what suits you.
I'm thinking I might have to make some more now. Maybe some kids themed ones to put in their rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment