|Reproduced from ninemsn:|
Except here is the difference. This family, whether it be to their face or behind their back (as yesterday's case would be) are experiencing horrible bigotry. Not only did a random stranger make the comment "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" with a smirk on her face but someone I mix with weekly threw me a huge curve ball with her uneducated, bigoted, homophobic comments.
I have always been one to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but where do you draw the line between an opinion and a uneducated irrational rant. Some of the comments went along this line:
- Gay people give up their rights to have children when they become gay
- Gay men are born this way because they're born men when they where meant to be women
- They can't have two girls. They're gay. What are they going to tell them? How can they raise two girls? (Well duh you're a single mother of two boys - How can you raise them? *shakes head*)
- People only become gay later because they where abused.
- I used to hang around a lot of hairdressers so I know all about gays
I have people in my life that I love and care very deeply about that are not only gay, but SHOCK HORROR have children. And guess what? They're brilliant parents. Their kids love and adore them. Regardless of sexual orientation, parents are parents. A child needs a loving and nurturing family, that's what's important.
I should just let the agenda of the narrow minded bigots be a blip on my radar, but what has been said can never be unsaid. I have to cross this person, at the bare minimum, weekly. I have to be mature, I have to be responsible. But I know I will seethe whenever I look at her now, but I will remember this:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Anyone after some extra reading, check out the links below: